Last weekend I spent an afternoon at Grand Central Market in downtown Los Angeles which has operated continuously since 1917. It was my first time there but it reminded me of a (surprisingly) smaller version of the Saint John City Market in New Brunswick I visited when I spent most of a high school summer collecting memories “down east”. Among the produce vendors I found a carton of luscious blueberries and I knew right away I wanted to make my favorite summer dessert: blueberry lemon cookies.
My go-to dessert blog is Tutti Dulci, hands down, and this is my take on her Lemon Glazed Blueberry Bites. Start with the usual mixing of the dry ingredients together: flour, salt, and baking powder.
This is a cookie with a cream cheese dough but I prefer to use the Italian cream cheese, mascarpone, which works well in sweet or savory dishes. Let the butter and mascarpone (or cream cheese) soften and combine with the zest of one lemon using a mixer on medium speed for two to three minutes, until smooth.
Add one half cup of turbinado sugar and beat on medium speed for three to four minutes, until fluffy.
Once the sugar is creamed into the butter and cream cheese, add egg and vanilla and mix together.
Pour the flour into the wet mixture in two to three separate additions and stir until just barely combined.
Gently fold in the blueberries and refrigerate dough at least three hours or up to overnight.
When ready to bake, let the dough sit at room temperature for about fifteen minutes until pliable enough to roll easily into one inch balls. Place on lined baking sheet about one inch apart and bake for 12 minutes or until just beginning to turn golden.
Once cookies are cooled, mix together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until sugar has dissolved.
Drizzle glaze over cookies. This will be a very messy step, it helps to put a piece of wax or parchment paper underneath the cooling rack and drizzle the glaze while the cookies are on the rack. Allow glaze to set completely, about half an hour, before serving.
Below is your printable recipe with nutrition information included.
Gleefully borrowed from Lemon Glazed Blueberry Bites at Tutti Dulci.
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 4 oz mascarpone cheese, softened
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- zest of 1 lemon
- ½ cup turbinado sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder in medium bowl, set aside.
- With mixer on medium speed, combine mascarpone, butter and lemon zest until smooth. Add sugar and cream at medium speed for three to four minutes until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract, mix to combine.
- Add flour mixture in three parts and stir until just combined.
- Gently fold in blueberries and refrigerate dough at least 3 hours or up to overnight.
- When ready to bake, let dough sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Roll dough into one inch-sized balls and place on cookie sheet 1½ inches apart. Bake for 15 minutes until just beginning to golden.
- Stir powdered sugar and lemon juice together in small bowl and drizzle over cooled cookies. Allow glaze to set, about 30 minutes, before serving.
I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.
-Markus Zusak, The Book Thief